The Mooresville Graded School District has program specialists available to assist with the implementation of Positive Behavior Intervention and Support. This program is geared toward helping students who have behavior difficulties.
According to the NC Department of Public Instruction website:
- Positive Behavior Intervention and Support programs are a way to impact the learning environments in the schools in order to support high student performance and to reduce behavioral problems.
- Whole School Positive Behavior Intervention and Support is a systematic approach that establishes and reinforces clear behavioral expectations.
- It is a team-based system involving the entire school staff using a systems approach. The school staff must adopt a common approach to discipline that is proactive, instructional, and outcome-based.
- The data about the school is used to guide decision-making. The school team looks at the entire school campus and the whole school day. The goal is to help educate all students, even students with challenging behaviors.
- There is an emphasis on continuous, data based improvement, individualized to each school.
- PBIS is also an instructional approach that focuses on systematically teaching social behavior using effective instructional methodology.
- Systematically teaching and implementing behavioral interventions for the most difficult students is also a key component.