A student’s health is important to his or her success in school. Mooresville Graded School District employs school nurses who provide services to minimize health conditions that impede learning. School nursing, a specialized practice of public health nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates normal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders that bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potentials. At MGSD, our school health services include:
- Screening, assessment, identification, and planning for the care, safety, and ongoing evaluation of students with health care needs
- Referrals to community resources
- Consultation with parents and physicians about health conditions
- Health teaching and counseling for students
- Consultation with administrators and staff regarding health-related activities at school such as health room procedures, medication administration, medically authorized procedures, and communicable disease control.